Saturday, 21 March 2020 14:41

Update: Sailing Instructor Clinics & Re-Certifications

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well given these extraordinary circumstances.
I wanted to update you on plans for our instructor courses this spring and re-certifications for those who need them.
Sail NS will deliver our scheduled Fundamental Course for new instructors online over the Easter weekend as planned. We have 11 candidates so far, so please encourage your new instructors to sign up as the course will go ahead. They can register here
Our Tune-Up / Team Racing weekend is set for May 2-3 in Hubbards. We will make the call on whether to hold that by April 20.
Sail Canada is currently looking at how provinces can run instructor clinics if self-isolation guidelines are still in place. Stay tuned.
For those instructors with recently expired instructor certifications, First Aid, and or Coach Boat Safety, Sail Canada is looking at granting an extension on those so as not to restrict instructors from teaching this summer. When I have more details on those I will send them out.
In the meantime, please, please, please, encourage your instructors to get familiar with using their CANSail profile to check expiry dates and access valuable resources.
To do so they can log in here
If they have difficulty logging in have them e-mail me at [email protected] and I can help them.
As for "When will we get the all clear for sailing programs?", for that we will wait for the Province to give the okay. Sport Nova Scotia is in regular contact with the Dept of Health and as we know more I will certainly share it.
If some of your instructors have a challenge paying for one of our courses, please have them reach out and we can set up a payment plan. I don't want lack of funds to be the reason they don't sign up. We need them.
And if we have to cancel any course all the candidates will get a full 100% refund.
Stay safe.